Monday, September 23, 2013

Loaded Chicken & Potatoes


Tonight we had some chicken that needed used up, so I cut it into small chunks and made one of those epic flavory dishes: loaded chicken and potatoes.


Sorry if this doesn't look that edible-- couldn't seem to get a good shot, but then, in my opinion, the best tasting foods are quite often the least pretty looking.  I know gourmet foodies would disagree, but I don't like gourmet food. I like meat and potatoes. And cheese.

We don't have this super often, mostly because baking the bacon seems like too much work in addition to making the rest of the meal too.  But nothing sounded all that exciting tonight, so on nights like that, pulling out the potatoes and bacon and cheese are usually a pretty safe bet for finding the meal edible when it comes time to eat.

Here's the final plate full.  Ranch just kicks it up another notch of awesome (we make our own, so no weird additives to worry about), and I've decided the peas are my favorite vegetable this year. Yes, I know that's a lot of peas; they were awesome. They're from the garden, and I have never tasted such sweet peas-- and I was a big fan before I grew them. Naturally I add some butter on top-- most vegetables tend to have fat-soluble nutrients in them, so they actually require fat with them if you're going to reap the benefits properly.
loaded chicken and potatoes

LOADED CHICKEN & POTATOES
2 chicken breasts, cubed
3-4 potatoes, cubed
1/4 c. butter
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 1/2 t. paprika
1 T. garlic powder
1 c. shredded cheddar
1/2 c. bacon bits (3-4 pieces, cut up)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together the butter, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Add the cubed potatoes and chicken and stir to coat.
Scoop the potatoes and chicken into the prepared baking dish. Bake the potatoes and chicken for 55-60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes until cooked through, crispy, and browned on the outside.
While the potatoes are cooking, cook your bacon (about half a pound). (I bake mine in the oven before putting the chicken in, usually.)
Once the potatoes and chicken are fully cooked, remove from the oven. Top the cooked potatoes with the cheese and bacon.

Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

5 comments :

  1. Sounds nummy! You seriously need a George Foreman grill to cook your bacon. No mess. And no clean-up either, since bacon is basically all I use it for. Not lately, though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I bake it in the oven, so there's less cleanup than frying it since it doesn't spit anywhere. But I don't want more appliances, and all I remember of the Foreman is that it drove me crazy trying to clean all those ridges without dumping the whole machine in the sink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad cooks extra bacon ahead in the oven and keeps it in the fridge. Then he just adds it to a recipe like this and it will get crispy again in the oven when mixed with those potatoes. Because everything is better with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im assuming that its pre cooked chicken... is that a correct assumption? And melt the butter before adding the seasonings...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, raw chicken. And yes, melted butter.

    ReplyDelete