Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Apple Pie Filling





When you see this:
apple harvest
...you know fall is here.  I actually scored these lovely apples from a neighbor the other day, rounding out at almost 90 pounds.  He has a dwarf apple tree which I managed to pick almost entirely by standing on the ground.  I'd already considered dwarf trees to be a great invention, but picking these apples clinched it: we're adding a miniature orchard to our backyard next spring.

So today I set out to take care of them.  I put about 20 lbs of the best ones in the fridge for plain eating.  Then I peeled 50 apples for pie filling.  The recipe is for 25 apples, so I doubled it to make 6 quarts. We really don't eat pies ALL that often, and we have peach filling in the pantry as well, so I figured six was sufficient for the year.  I have this recipe for an apple strudel that I've been jonesing to try for a couple years now, so I expect one jar will go to that at some point.  

So here is the very large pot of apples and pie ingredients:


50 apples
3 c. brown sugar
6 T. cinnamon
6 T. cornstarch
2 c. water
1/2 c. lemon juice










And here they are, all canned up and pretty.  Ready to live on a shelf for the winter!  

homemade apple pie filling

If you're interested, the pricing goes something like this: (most of these are organic, so prices are higher):
50 apples: free
3 c. brown sugar: $3.99
6 T. cinnamon: $.96 
6 T. cornstarch: $.83
2 c. water: free
1/2 c. lemon juice: $1.06 
TOTAL: $6.84 or $1.14 per quart
Storebought: $6.28/qt.


Wow.  Nothing like free apples!

I composted all of the cores, but I hate to just throw away everything, so I decided to try another Pinterest find and attempt to make apple cider vinegar out of the peelings.  I stuffed as many as I could fit into a gallon jar, poured water over the lot, put a wide mouth jar lid on the peelings to keep them under water, put a paper towel on top so it could breathe (apparently this is an AERobic fermentation, not anaerobic...) and here it is:  

making apple cider vinegar

















Not the prettiest thing in my kitchen, but it'll be living in the back of a dark cupboard for a couple months while it does its thing.  I have one more procedure for making vinegar that I'd like to try with the rest of the apple peels that I'll have after turning the rest into applesauce tomorrow (or more pie filling, depending on how much sauce the current batch produces...)  Might as well try 'em all if there's enough peels for it.  :-)  We go through a decent amount of cider vinegar in a year, so it'll be nice to save a few dollars instead of composting it.

8 comments :

  1. I love to use my apple pie filling for apple crisp. And thanks for the idea of making vinegar! I am now on the lookout for organic apples so I can try making some, also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a fun idea? There's no end to things you can make yourself if you start thinking in that direction. And at $8/gal. for the raw organic vinegar, you might as well use your COMPOST BUCKET to provide the ingredients instead. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a fun idea? There's no end to things you can make yourself if you start thinking in that direction. And at $8/gal. for the raw organic vinegar, you might as well use your COMPOST BUCKET to provide the ingredients instead. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea! (the vinegar) I suppose it has to be in a dark place to work right, but I'd find it interesting to watch the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! We scored a bunch of free apples from my in-law's neighbor and let me tell you...they are delish :) Yesterday I peeled a mess of them and made gluten free apple pie and crumble. Sean dehydrated quite a few and the rest we plan on gobbling down. We hope to get more next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also intrigued by your cider. Post again in a few months when you have the final product :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this on Sunday! So delighted to have the apples turned into canned pie filling :) I was going to make the cider, but hubby, Dale, suggested making apple jelly instead. I don't care for the stuff, but he does, I guess. Turned out pretty good...simmered the cores and peels for a while, drained & added way too much sugar for my liking. He's happy :)
    The only change we made for the pie filling is the omit a few tablespoons of cinnamon; guess we don't like cinnamon quite as much as you :) Oh, and we had some tart apples so we added a bit more sugar. Turned out great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cider didn't go super well, so I'm glad you didn't waste Dale's jelly on it...and yes, I like cinnamon. :-D

      Delete