Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bed rest

Yesterday afternoon, I called my midwife in regards to the contractions I'd been having every four minutes or so since the previous evening. She had me come in, checked me out, and declared that "taking it easy", as I had been ordered at my last appointment, was no longer cutting it. Bed rest, she declared--no ifs, ands, or buts about it. This means I'm allowed out of bed only to transport myself to another area where I can lay horizontally, or to use the bathroom. I am, thankfully, allowed to sit up to eat--looking back, that bowl of cereal I had for breakfast would have been awfully messy had that exception not been made.

At first, I was kind of excited about this. It was a doctor's note to be lazy! I'd been ordered to do nothing but read books, watch Netflix, and sleep all day! This, I thought, would be a great time to do the little things that always get overlooked because I'm busy doing larger chores that I'm no longer allowed to do!

But then I realized I could do absolutely none of it from my perch on the couch. I tried to think of a way I might be able to cut out fabric for some burp cloths while laying down. Came up with nothing but some laughable mental images. Thought about washing baby clothes, or even just folding the stuff I've got sitting in the dryer. No can do there, either (at least until Tanner gets home), because it involves hauling baskets up and down the stairs, actions that are both strictly forbidden.

Tanner's reaction when I texted him Elaine's orders was a little amusing. He had gone off to work a scheduled outage that morning, knowing that he may get a call at some point demanding his presence at the birth center. Instead he got a text telling him that his wife was now basically useless for the next while. His first response was "Really? Okay."

It wasn't until I told him that Mom was going to swing by to make a couple meals for us this afternoon that the gravity of the situation really hit him.

"You can't even cook??"

Heehee.

Luckily for him there's a frozen pizza and some hot pockets in the freezer as well. Not so lucky for him, he has to do his own laundry tonight so he has something to wear tomorrow.

Anyway, there is actually an upside to all of this: there's a very good chance we'll be meeting this little boy a couple weeks earlier than we had originally planned. This stint on bed rest is (hopefully) only going to last until my next appointment on Wednesday morning, when I'll be nearly 37 weeks. The point is just to get his lungs a little more mature before he actually has to test them out in the real world.

So as of now, I'm conducting a poll--if you'd like to participate, leave your guesses in the comment section below: Give your best guesstimate as to when the little munchkin decides to show, bearing in mind, his legitimate due date is November 22nd, I'm currently two centimeters dilated, and 80% effaced. You can guess a time as well, if you want, to be used in the event of a tie. Winner will receive a genuine, authenticated high-five from yours truly, and ten minutes of baby cuddle time. Runner up gets puppy cuddle time.

Ready....GO!

I'm off to get back to the one crafty thing manageable from the horizontal position: crocheting. But heaven help me, if I drop the hook on my face one more time, I'm going to give up on this afghan forever.

16 comments :

  1. So... how's this new situation going to treat Miss Harley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess November 8th, on my oldest brother's birthday.

    Betty Figarelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a little bored...stays inside with me most of the time...but she has lots of play time with Tanner when he's home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kara!!! I'm excited he's coming, but bummer on the bed rest! I guess our little guys may not be as close together as we thought, but one can never tell! I'm going to guess Nov 3rd. No reason, just sounds like a good date :-) Hang in there! Oh and tell Tanner he won't die of eating freezer meals. Smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kara!!! I'm excited he's coming, but bummer on the bed rest! I guess our little guys may not be as close together as we thought, but one can never tell! I'm going to guess Nov 3rd. No reason, just sounds like a good date :-) Hang in there! Oh and tell Tanner he won't die of eating freezer meals. Smile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bed rest....ugh. Sorry! My guess is 10 days after you're allowed to get up and move around again. That's about what it was for me with Alex, at which point my water broke in the middle of the night and he made his debut a short 9 hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking the fatter they are when their born the better they eat and sleep, so pat yourself on the back and have fun on the afghan.
    http://www.websudoku.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oct 29th! I look forward to seeing you for my 10 min cuddle time when I win the bet! Good thing you have a few days bed rest to plan a trip to Alaska! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lets see, its the 27th today so I will guess November 11th at 11:11 (either am or pm) just cause 11/11 at 11:11 sounds cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Shawna's thinking but that's a long time to wait, so I'll go with 11/01 at 11:01, either a.m. or p.m. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tomorrow or one of the next tomorrows should do :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm guessing November 18th. I was 3-4 cm and 80% for FIVE weeks with Ollie, so... don't count on that meaning anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well the 31st would be amusing just because it is Halloween, but my real guess is November 14th. I happen to like that number. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to post my guess yesterday...and my ipad just didn't want to process it...so here's another try. Hopefully said baby hasn't already made his appearance, cuz then I'd be way off. My first guess is Nov. 8. Yes I know Betty already guess that, but I'm sticking with it. I'll just add a time: 11:08 pm in case its a tie :-) Actually if it is, Give Betty first and I'll cuddle the puppy ;-) Hope your bed rest ends soon and you deliver a healthy bouncing boy....on whatever day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we had a tie. On another post Karen Hickok also guessed the 14th!

    ReplyDelete