Thursday, October 24, 2013

Raspberry Cream Pie


The other day, Rob requested a raspberry cream pie.

Prior to this summer, I had never actually made a raspberry cream pie.  They used to sell them at the restaurant I worked at during college, and they were a family favorite, but it would never cross our minds that the epic pie from the neighborhood restaurant could be *gasp* made at home!!!

I'm not even sure why I looked up the recipe, with that mentality.  It might have had something to do with our amazing raspberry crop this year.  And then I put two and two together: Rob likes raspberries.  He loves cream based food.  I bet he'd love raspberry cream pie!

Well, I set out to find a recipe, and about six attempts later, finally found one I think we'll keep.  Rob, who as it turned out, does love raspberry pie, cheerfully did his part in eating the rejects.  So here is the final recipe in all its glory.  You'll notice that I forgot to take half of the process pictures, and that my only finished picture is of a half-eaten pie. It's that kind of pie.

INGREDIENTS
1 pie crust (I used this recipe)

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped


Raspberry Topping:
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. sugar
12 oz. frozen raspberries or 2 heaping cup fresh
1 T. water
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
dash salt


Bake your pie crust @400 for 15-20 minutes.  You want it done, not just set, because you won't be cooking it again like you would with some pies.  This time around I used some leftover pie crust from a prior effort, and since it was small, I spread it into an oven safe glass Rubbermaid dish.  (Besides, if it's small, Rob might actually get it eaten before I do.)


You'll also notice that I didn't put any weights in it (or poke any holes) and so I got a bubbly crust, which settled down flat but the sides didn't reach very high.  I didn't mind, since Rob likes the cream filling more than the crust, so I just use it basically as a bottom crust, and didn't worry about the sides being tall or even.


Do the raspberry topping while the crust is baking, because it needs to chill in the fridge for awhile.

Mix corn starch and sugar together in a medium sized sauce pan. Add the raspberries, water, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.


Over medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.  When the raspberries have cooked down enough to disintegrate, remove it from the heat. Add butter, vanilla and a dash of salt. Stir until butter is melted.

By the way, this open ended whisk is my favorite utensil.  It cleans easily because there's no over looping wires to get stuff caught in, and it has an angle flat plane on the bottom, so it's easy to get into the corners of a pan.  No so with round whisks.


In an appropriate sized bowl, beat the 1 cup of cream until it whips into sturdiness.  In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Add in whipped cream.

Spread this mixture on the pie crust, and the chilled raspberry topping on top of that.  Place it in the fridge to chill for several hours, or overnight is even better.  It's best super cold.  Serve it when you have company so that it's all gone in one sitting, otherwise you'll find yourself grabbing a fork full-- or two-- every time you walk by the fridge.  It's bad news.



What pies are popular at everybody else's house?

This post is hosted at Foodie Friends Friday blog hop.

13 comments :

  1. Wait 'til Shnaw reads this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had raspberry cream pies before, and.......the only thing that can come close is a "tree ripened" peach pie. Peach pie does not even need the cream cheese...but what could it hurt?.... You would be welcome to try this one on me the next time I make it down to Kay & Todd's house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome to a slice, but you might have to arm wrestle Rob for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably in better shape than I am, however, he hasn't milked as many cows as I have. Just to be on the safe side, maybe you could make a whole pie for us to fight over? At least then, I might get one piece! :)

      Delete
  4. Lanie Wulf used to make a pie like that and I've been hungry for it for about 20 years. This sounds like it might do. mmm, Thanksgiving is coming!

    Where did you get the whisk?! I love that idea! Can't cook without one and they are such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it on Amazon, here:
      http://www.amazon.com/WMF-Profi-Plus--Inch-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004S4WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382748352&sr=8-1&keywords=ball+whisk

      They have a silicone one, too, if you have nonstick pans. I'm about ready to buy myself a second one, because I use it so often I have to pull it out of the dishwasher before it's cleaned, so often. :-)

      Delete
  5. This looks yummy, I'll file it away in the 'make for company' pile. My dad has requested a cherry pie so I'll be using the Flat Head cherries we canned. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes...I've always been under the impression that cherry pies had to be made with tart cherries, which are next to impossible to find. It'd be great if sweet cherries worked!

      Delete
  6. I was gonna ask if the ratio of cream cheese filling to raspberry was right.. the raspberry looked a little thin so I might have to 1.5 that part of the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well obviously go by whatever works for you...but the amount I call for here is actually double the recipe I went by. :-D

      Delete
  7. A popular pie at our house is Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie. It has cream cheese and whipped cream like this one, just add peanut butter in it and chocolate chips. I love the cream cheese that way, so this one looks quite yummy to try as I also love berries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I have some raspberries in the freezer so I will have to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, despite poor pictures it's an amazing pie, one that has the record of making company snitch forkfuls from the fridge! :-) I hope it turns out well for you! By the way, we've found that more cornstarch is required in some geographic areas (Seattle vs. Bozeman, for example) but we haven't figured out why yet. Fortunately it still tastes good even if it doesn't thicken up. :-)

      Delete