Friday, November 1, 2013

Compare and Contrast: Wedding Edition (2/2)

(In case you missed it, this is part two of a set...read Kirstyn's story here.)
As the blog description mentions, Kirstyn and I are two similar sisters with similar lifestyles and values, but quite often have very different ideas of how things should be done. Similar opposites, if you will.  (I wish I could copyright that phrase, but Kirstyn thought it up before I could.) We already demonstrated one of our differences--specifically organizational tendencies vs. the lack thereof--in the Junk Drawer Post, but today we thought it'd be fun to highlight one of our admittedly eccentric similarities!

We're obviously both married--I think we've both mentioned that before--and are both completely besotted with our respective spouses. But the weirdness here is that we both decided to opt out of the white dress, five piece band type weddings. We opted, instead, for the courthouse.

Crazy, right? This route had never even crossed my mind until one fateful day in mid-December when I got a text during seventh period my senior year of high school that read "Rob and I got married today :)"

Cue the splutters and disbelief of at least one younger sister (she had sent the text to all three of us), followed by the rapid disposal of my phone into my purse as the teacher came around to check on homework. It wasn't that we hadn't known it was coming...they'd been dating for a couple years already, but none of us expected a marriage to be announced before an engagement! But apparently, this had been well planned out for *gasp* the last week.

Needless to say, she was the family anomaly for a while afterward, until our minds were able to wrap around the fact that two people could actually get married without any form of hullabaloo surrounding the occasion. A year or so later, though, when Tanner and I began dating, and later talking about marriage, I was incredibly glad that she had had the "weddings aren't actually necessary" epiphany. Had she not gone that route first and given me the inspiration to do the same, I probably would have gone ahead with a normal wedding, regardless of the fact that I couldn't be imposed upon to give a darn about flower girl dresses and centerpieces and such. When I revealed my non-wedding intentions to Tanner a few months before we got engaged, the look of shocked delight on his face was priceless--he's never really been one for dressing up.

We got engaged on March 31st (the weekend before my birthday), and it went viral on Facebook that afternoon. I suppose that is one of the differences between our wedding and Kirstyn and Rob's, another being that we also announced our intention to "elope" as they had done, although I was told that announcing an elopement makes it moot, as eloping generally implies secrecy.

As it turned out, we did manage to surprise most of the Facebook population anyway by going ahead with it a month early! After running by the courthouse to see what hoops needed to be jumped through to obtain a license--and finding out there really weren't any--I drove back to Tanner's place, my cousin Sierra in tow and pondered the matter until he got home from work. I had already quit my job a few weeks prior, so that wasn't in the way, and heck, maybe it'd be a good idea to get settled in before we had to take off for a week-long trip out to Oregon, where Tanner's folks were planning a reception. When Tanner walked through the door, I had made up my mind:

"Hey...want to go get married?"

"Sure!"

It was basically as simple as that, although I did have to drag him back inside and make him change out of his grungy work clothes and into something semi-decent when he tried to walk back out to the car as he was. Uh, no. No future husband of mine was going to marry me looking like that. Although we hadn't planned on having a witness (simply because they are apparently no longer necessary), Sierra got to fill that role for us.

Our vows were basically the cookie-cutter type, but like Kirstyn's they said everything we wanted them to say. The Justice of the Peace that married us had quite the sense of humor, as well! After the "I now pronounce you" part, he looked at us both and asked: "So, you feel any different?" Umm...Despite the fact that we had just gone from two individuals to one married unit, we both had to admit that no, we didn't really feel any different. Then he added: "Well you definitely look taller!"

*Groan*

One other difference between these two weddings is that Tanner and I did decide to go ahead with a reception, that then turned into two, since our families lived so far apart. I definitely don't regret that part, although admittedly, my head was spinning with the names of all of his extended family members that I met at the one in Oregon.

I obviously can't even lay claim to three years of marriage, like Kirstyn can, but we're coming up on a year and a half! Someday, that'll turn into fifty, and I'll still love looking back at our out-of-the-norm wedding.

2 comments :