Monday, November 18, 2013

Easy Dijon Chicken


If you're relatively new to using whole chickens, this is a great recipe to add to your repertoire!  I've described before that I tend to cut the breasts off of a whole chicken and end up crockpotting the rest, but that hasn't always struck me as the wisest solution-- just a solution.  That's what we did with our entire year's order of chickens in 2012.  This year we got our chicken order and spent several hours cutting them into pieces.  I flash froze them on cookie sheets, then stored them in big 2 1/2 gallon ziplocs in the deep freeze, by cut.  This is great, since now I can just pull out a couple legs, or a bunch of wings...but it's been an entirely new learning curve, trying to figure out what to do with all these cuts!  Growing up I always liked legs (I hear that parents attempting to get real food into schools lately have been stymied by kids not knowing how to each chicken with bones...what in the world?! This is the chicken nugget generation...), so I was able to figure out what to do with those, without too much problem-- dredge them in a flour mixture and bake them to crispy.  Yum.  :-)  Thighs, though?  Those are dark meat, which I've always held in suspicion, although I'm not entirely sure why.

Well, the other night a paleo friend of mind mentioned what they had for dinner-- Dijon Mustard chicken thighs. Something about her description of them made me decide I should probably give them a try. It might have been her mention of the yummy crispy skin and her son's assessment that "chicken skin is one of the world's best things."  Right on, kid.

The next day I pulled some thighs out of the freezer and set them to thawing. I'm not entirely sure why I've always felt that dark meat was a negative thing. I was amazed at how much flavor it added to each bite as opposed to white meat, which is versatile and works in any dish, but really, honestly, doesn't add much flavor in its own power.  This is going to be an oft-repeated recipe at this house!






INGREDIENTS
6-12 chicken thighs, with skin!  (This is one of those "fats are good for you" moments.)
1/4 c. melted butter
2 T. dijon mustard
pepper to taste
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dried sage


Pre-heat the oven to 425.

Mix the butter, mustard, and seasonings together.

Brush or pour glaze onto chicken; we like more than a glaze, so we use more like 6 thighs for this recipe's amount of mustard sauce.


Place in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes. If you're baking a side dish at the same time, we found that closer to 55 minutes was necessary.

Then serve it up with your favorite sides!








This post is part of the Slightly Indulgent Tuesday blog hop.

9 comments :

  1. I might have to give that a try- what kind of djon mustard did you use? I think there are different kinds? on a side note- arent drumsticks dark meat too... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes, I think drumsticks ARE dark meat! But they weren't in my head, they were just "legs". Okay, so I always viewed THIGH meat with suspicion. :-)
      I think there's spicy dijons, but isn't just plain dijon pretty predictable? We use the "Organic Ville" brand. I don't know what options are on the store shelves, but I'd pick a mild one if they have such distinctions.

      Delete
    2. Lol ya I know what you mean. I got a bag of thighs once but it took a while to use them all up. I'll try it with whatever type I have in the fridge.

      Delete
  2. I like the flavor of chicken thighs, but I hate all the hidden fat globs and tendons in them. I'm trying to get over it - if fat is good for you, I imagine the collagen in the connective tissue is as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing since I don't enjoy chewing on tendons and stuff...but there's an easy solution, just throw all the leftover bones and gristle into a bag and freeze it for the next time you make broth. Waste not, want not, and get the nutrients in anyway. :-D

      Delete
  3. I have a gi-mondo squash waiting to be cooked. Might have to make this chicken to go with it. Yeah, good idea, that. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete