Friday, December 6, 2013

Fake Fried Chicken


The other day Kara posted a how-to for fried chicken...but frankly, that's too ambitious for me. Dealing with the oil while cooking (yuck, spatters everywhere) and afterwards, when you can't pour it down the sink, is just a little more work than I want to put into something we'll eat in a couple minutes.  So here's my solution: Fake Fried Chicken.

It's quite easy, really...I mix up a batch of this and keep it in the freezer. One wouldn't need to keep it in the freezer; as far as I can tell, the cupboard would be just fine. I just keep mine in the freezer because the flour is ground here at home, and flour loses most of its nutrients within two days of being ground if kept at room temp. When I'm ready to use it, I pour a little into a container or a bag, drop the chicken in, shake it until it's coated, and bake. Other than making sure you have time to let it bake, this is about as simple as pouring yourself a bowl of cereal- and much more worthwhile. If you throw in a couple potatoes to bake alongside, you'll be living in high cotton.

By the way, this is a great way to use other chicken pieces instead of just breasts...just about anything tastes good when it's wrapped in breading, even if it isn't fried. In fact, in my experience, this isn't a great way to do breasts, simply because they're so thick that there's not enough breading for the amount of meat, unless you cut it into smaller pieces. Might as well save the breasts for the recipes that truly require them...that's the world of whole chicken rationing.  :-D

INGREDIENTS
2 c. flour
2 t. garlic powder
2 t. paprika
1 t. pepper
1 t. sage
1 t. salt


Here's my jar of "breading"...I'm just about out of it, so it'll be time to make a new batch, soon.

Pour a portion into a bag (or a container works just as well and is one less thing to throw away and buy again...yay frugal!). Don't pour much; it takes less than you think, and you can always add more. I don't reuse what is left because-- well, raw chicken touched it and you just never know. I'm not real squeamish about raw meat and germs, but if I kept my breading in a cupboard, no WAY would you want to reuse stuff that had touched raw chicken. Frozen like I keep it, it would probably be fine...but I just prefer to use less each time and pitch the extra.

Drop each piece of chicken in the bag separately, close it, and shake. I've found it's easier to get all of the nooks and crannies coated if you leave a good bit of air in the bag when you seal it, so it's like a balloon. Gives the flour more space to move around. Same with doing only one piece of chicken at a time.


Lay the chicken in a greased pan. If you like, you can add little pieces of butter around the edges. They'll melt down and add some flavor.

Bake uncovered @400 for about an hour. I never have chicken over-bake at an hour even if it's done earlier, so I usually don't fret too much about checking it periodically to make sure it's done. An hour always does it. Turn the chicken over, halfway through. (I never do, because I like the crispy browned flour on the top when it's done, but I think I might be weird that way.  :-))

I usually cover a couple potatoes in some sort of fat (olive oil works pretty great) and throw them in the oven alongside. As long as they're russets and not yukons or reds, they'll be done about the same time the chicken is. If they're big, throw them in while you're prepping the chicken, so they get a little extra time but everything's ready at once.

Then eat up!



This post is part of the Barn HopThank Your Body Thursday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Unprocessed Fridays blog hops.

4 comments :

  1. wow! thanks for this! such a simple wholesome meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Thanks for the breading recipe. I always make it up as I go along, with varied success. Might be supper tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! Dale might be thanking you soon! He'll love this :)

    ReplyDelete