Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fried Chicken!

Once upon a time, I had a dad that made the best fried chicken ever. He taught me how to make it, and I lived happily ever after. Apparently, the secret is in soaking your chicken in buttermilk overnight! Who knew? So that is step one. 
By the way, I've been informed that what I make is not actually fried chicken, but chicken nuggets. My reason for doing it that way is that A) drumsticks and other actual chicken parts take too long to fry and B) in a perfect world there needs to be almost more breading than chicken. 

The breading I make is really simple, and consists of flour, salt, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika, and oregano. I haven't actually written down the ratio I use, but it's something like one teaspoon salt and garlic salt, and two teaspoons of everything else per cup of flour. Its a lot. My rule of thumb is to just dump it in until I think I have more than enough, then add a little more. It's really hard to over-season. As for the flour part, I've heard that adding in corn starch or cornmeal makes your breading more crispy...totally up to you. 

Cut up your chicken into bite sized chunks, mix up your breading, and toss it to evenly coat.

This time around, I decided to use bacon grease to fry in, just because I have a ton on hand (Tanner has bacon almost every morning for breakfast...it adds up quick) and because I forgot to get regular veggie oil the last time I went shopping! I'm smart that way. I don't completely submerge my chicken to fry it, by the way...I tried it once, and it turned out really greasy. I use about half an inch of oil in the bottom of the frying
pan.










With the stove on medium heat, get your oil nice an hot (flick a drop of water into it. If it pops, you're in business). Then place your chicken in it, up to about ten chunks at a time, depending on size, and cook for a minute or two on each side. Again, size is a factor--another reason I do small chunks--so check the largest piece of each batch to make sure it's done.
 Let them cool for a little while on a paper towel to absorb the grease, then serve with tater tots, or mashed spuds, or...anything, really. You can make some pretty stellar gravy out of the drippings, too! Drain off most of the oil, spoon in some flour and whisk together, then add milk and let it thicken to the right consistency (super exact, I know). It'll be a hit with anyone you serve it to!

2 comments :

  1. I can attest to the yum factor of the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to the yum factor of the tater tots. ;-)

    ReplyDelete