Saturday, November 2, 2013

Make You Famous Cookies

They seriously will. These are the reason I had friends in high school. Which sounds really pathetic now that I say it, but heck...what I'm trying to say is that if you make these once, you'll never be allowed to stop because they're so delish. These are what a cookie is supposed to taste like. I woke up this morning with the urge to bake (at six o'clock on a Saturday of all things!), so they are the product of my irrationality, and you get to reap the benefits! Here we go:




First, you start out with your handy-dandy super mixer. My life would be far from complete without this thing right here.
First up:
-Two sticks of butter, room temp (trust me, that's very necessary. If you're a cheater like me, though, ten seconds in the microwave oughta do it.)
-1 c sugar
-1 c brown sugar
-2 tsp vanilla

Aaaand whip it all together!
Then, to the mix, ye shall add:

-2 eggs

Whip it good!
Atop this:

-3 c flour
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking soda

As a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing ever to turn the mixer on high at this point and watch it "snow". Mom did not think this was funny, and I got to learn to wipe off counters. So, mix again, with caution.
And what cookie would be a cookie without:

-1 c chocolate chips
-1 c quick oats (that's just normal oatmeal to most of us, unless you're the type to use steel cut or something. Any kind of oatmeal will work, but quick oats blend in a whole lot better.)

Mix again, and note that the noises your mixer is making don't necessarily mean it's announcing it's impending death. It's just a lot of dough to move around.

Roll into little balls, smaller than a golf ball, bigger than a gum ball. There may be a more technical measurement, but I'm not entirely sure what it is, so that's what you get to go by!
Bake at 350* for 9 minutes or so, bearing in mind that you do not want these to come out browned. It is actually preferable that they still look a little anemic when they come out. This will ensure they stay chewy, which is ultimately what we're going for. Let them hang out on the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. That'll get them just firm enough to make sure they don't fall through the wires. I've had that happen before. Trust me, it ain't pretty.
Each batch should make about three dozen, depending on how big you make them. This batch had three dozen and seven.

Oh, by the way...I get mocked for this, but I swear they cook better if, after you put the little dough balls on the baking sheet, you squish them down a little bit with the heel of your palm. That's how they turn out so purty.
Anyway, now it's your turn! Go make them and let your own taste buds savor them instead of just drooling on your keyboard! You know you want to!

Oh, and here's a less spread-out version of the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

1 c chocolate chips
1 c oatmeal

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Hop to it!

5 comments :

  1. Yup. I want to. Drooling over my phone right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wish you lived closer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And for those of you who are shocked at the amount of sugar, you can cut it in half without wrecking anything. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that; I cut it in half years ago. Holy cow that's a lot!

      Delete
  4. Dale made these w/ all the sugar and they were great!

    ReplyDelete