Friday, November 22, 2013

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread

I decided to practice my Thanksgiving baking today, because pumpkin just sounded awesome, and because I'm signed up to bring something to Thanksgiving dinner down at Kirstyn's next week, and it's been a while since I've made anything with more than about five ingredients. So, I went and dug through Pinterest and found this recipe at JoyOfBaking.com, and it looked pretty darned scrumptious so I decided to try it out! Now, pay close attention, because I did this in a very precise manner.

Ha. Just kidding. I probably screwed it up beyond belief. It's not out of the oven yet, so I can't even tell you how it turned out yet.

Anyway, see this first picture? This was my first oopsie. That lighter colored stuff on top of the cinnamon is the reason I need to better label my spices. Hopefully it won't taste too much like mustard. And hopefully Mom won't read this before she tries it out, as she is supposed to be my guinea pig.

 In a large bowl, mix together:

3 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger (not mustard)
1/2 c chocolate chips (except I put in a full cup, because everything is better with more chocolate.)



 In a separate large bowl, combine:

4 eggs, room temp (Psh...ha. Mine were definitely straight out of the fridge)
2 c sugar
1 c melted butter, cooled to room temp (again, ha. I figured the cold eggs and warm butter would cancel each other out)
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla (or, accidentally overfill the teaspoon while holding it over the bowl and just call it good)

Combine the two bowls into one big glob of pumpkiny goodness. (I'm paraphrasing slightly)













Then make the cream cheese filling, by combining

8oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 egg

And mix together using a hand mixer.


















Divide the pumpkin batter evenly in half, then divide one half between two loaf pans, or if you, like me, only have one loaf pan, substitute one pan with a muffin pan or a square pan or something like that. On top of the first half, spread half of the cream cheese mixture. (In the case of cupcakes, I'd recommend doing the same. It'd be a huge pain, but I did mine with the cream cheese on top, hoping I could just mix it in with a toothpick, and, uh, it didn't work. I have white topped cupcakes.) Dolop the remaining pumpkin batter on top and spread around until it completely covers the top, and bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes. The cupcakes did really well at 20 minutes.






 So I finally got to try these, and they were still warm from the oven, and they were absolutely scrumptious. In fact, I may just freeze the loaf to take it down next weekend, because, quite honestly, I don't want to make the mess again. My kitchen is currently trashed.

TOTALLY WORTH IT.

1 comment :

  1. Your Aunt Sue has a dynamite recipe for a pumpkin roll. Same idea as this, I think, but you bake the pumpkin bread on a baking sheet so that it turns out maybe a half inch thick. You then spread the cream cheese mix on it and roll it up. The biggest challenge is to get it rolled up without the bread breaking apart. Once cooled in the 'frig, it can be easily sliced into individual servings. Sue still has the same phone # so you could probably text her for the recipe if you would like.

    ReplyDelete