Thursday, December 26, 2013

Broth-Baked Potatoes


I've been putting off this post for a long time, and it's because of one ridiculous little reason: I can't get a good picture of the final product. No good picture equals less aesthetic appeal, equals less interest in a recipe that is really quite a good recipe and should be given a shot.

But I made it again tonight and still couldn't get a great shot...so I'm making an executive decision to get this recipe out into the stratosphere without worrying too much about photography skills.

Remember back when I described how to make bone broth and why you should do so? Well, here's a recipe for getting it down after you get it made, which is a popular option at our house.  The potatoes sit in the broth and draw it up into them while they bake, so the final product is moist and fluffy and has just a little extra flavor to it than a plain potato. You can mash them up and add a topping if you desire, or you can just salt them and dig in. Either option has its merits.

INGREDIENTS
potatoes (enough for your family)
chicken broth (2 c. for a 9x9, 4 for a 13x9)
butter
salt
pepper

Peel your potatoes, and then slices them in half. You can make them as small or big as you like, really, the only difference being that the smaller the chunks, the more surface area will cook into a "skin". I actually really like the difference in texture this causes, but you might not, so give it a shot one time and see.

When I halve my potatoes I add butter on top to melt down in, but it's not really necessary. I always add more butter when I eat them anyway, so feel free to leave it off and add it later if you like.

Sprinkle the halves with salt and pepper, and any other spices that strike your fancy. Garlic powder would be an awesome addition.

Pour the chicken broth into the pan. It should come about halfway up the potatoes.

The potatoes take about an hour to cook, maybe a little longer for yukons or reds. I usually cook these side by side with the main dish, so I've cooked them at varying temperatures, all of which seem just fine. Anywhere from 350-425 degrees should take about an hour without causing you any issues, so you can take that info and apply it to whatever main dish you're cooking. For some reason, these potatoes always end up as the side dish for this Dijon Chicken recipe, and cooked together they take exactly an hour to get to perfection.

This post if part of the Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysReal Food Wednesdays, and Unprocessed Fridays blog hops.

2 comments :

  1. Cool idea! But why peel them? (I hate peeling potatoes and besides, it wastes nutrients.) Maybe they don't soak up the broth as well? Would it work to halve them, then place the cut sides down in the broth? You've got me curious now; gonna have to try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I peel them because 1) my amateur gardening efforts have thus far resulted in an over-abundance of green skinned potatoes, and we've found out the hard way that green potatoes don't do well in the stomach, and 2) I'd recommend it in general because most folks don't buy organic potatoes, and potatoes are infamous for how much and how many pesticides are used on them. It'd kind of override any nutrient benefits present in the skin. :-)

      Delete