Saturday, December 21, 2013

I'm going to keep her.

My dear, sweet, lovely cousin Sierra came by last night (and I flatter in the hopes that she'll spend a couple more). She told me ahead of time that she wanted to do a night feeding for me, to which I didn't really object, but I tried my hardest to warn her that it's not exactly fun. Don't get me wrong...I'd gladly let her do every night feeding if it weren't for certain...discomforts...on my end, but I wasn't sure she understood how much sleep she'd be missing out on. Her response?

"It's okay. He's cute."

Okay then. Have at it!

But before we even went to bed, she disappeared into the kitchen (while I sat on my duff in the living room), and started doing dishes! Goodness gracious. I decided then and there that she was going to be my indentured servant for life. When she came into the living room (after mopping!) and began folding the basket of towels that had been sitting in the recliner, I decided I was going to marry her. Wouldn't it be nice if wives could have a wife? So much more would get done! It should totally be a thing.

Anyway, I put Wade to bed around ten, gave Sierra some blankets to sleep on the futon in the nursery for the night, and went to bed. For the next. Eight. Hours.

Do you know how long it's been since I've had eight hours of sleep? Since before November 14th, that's for sure. Probably a few weeks before that, even, because having that much extra weight attached to your midsection does not make for a good night's sleep. Needless to say, when she woke me up at six for my turn, I was raring to go. I took him off her, while she grabbed her blankets and made a mad dash for the other room with a crazed look in her eyes. I doubt she'll be volunteering for that again...

I made myself go back to bed afterward, realizing I'd better take advantage of this minor miracle, and got back up at seven thirty (mostly because Wade decided he was hungry again). Apparently, a new mom with eight hours of sleep under her belt is akin to a half-crazed organizational nutjob on speed. Tanner was rudely awakened by several large jolts to the bed as I tried to move it over three inches to make room for the bassinet to turn sideways. My attempts were largely unsuccessful, because though he has no extra weight on him, he's something of a tub'o'lard. So he got to get out of bed, help me with my efforts, and climbed back in bed while I directed my cleaning frenzy to another room.

I made him cinnamon rolls. Don't feel too bad for him.

Now, it's eleven o'clock, My house is almost completely clean, and I've got my blog post done for the day! I wonder why I couldn't get this much done when getting eight hours a night was a common thing?

2 comments :

  1. Made me laugh out loud. :) It's so true! Glad Sierra was your angel-in-disguise for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've even caught up on sleep again!

    ReplyDelete