Friday, January 31, 2014

Black Bean Brownies


Remember the other day when I mentioned the high fat/high protein snacks I've been trying to keep on hand for Rob?  Well, this is another one of them.  It has no flour, if you're a gluten-free type, and although it's not meat, it's solid protein in the form of beans and eggs. I get tired of them pretty quickly, but Rob never seems to, and I have a suspicion that kids will love them as long as you keep calling them brownies.  :-)

So without further intro, here is another good snack food to think about keeping around...because it will last forever in the fridge.  :-)

By the way, if you're a little bit sketchy about using chocolate chips because 1) sugar and 2) weird ingredients, including soy, then there are two solutions to this: 1) decide if you're okay with the amount of sugar in 1/4 c. of chips and 2) try these chocolate chips that I use, which are soy, gluten, and dairy free, although not quite organic. It's still an improvement.  :-)

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c. cooked black beans, drained
3 eggs
1/3 c. melted butter or coconut oil
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar or 1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. mini chocolate chips

Add all ingredients to a bowl or a food processor. By the way, the sugar versus honey choice is totally your preference...the sugar makes a little bit fluffier of a product, but the honey is less cloyingly sweet. Your call.


Mix everything together until smooth! You can do this in a bowl with a mixer if you like, but it's quite difficult to get it entirely smooth. I usually end up using my immersion blender to finish the job if I go this route.









Pour the batter into a greased bread-pan. Sprinkle the top with the mini chips. Bake @350 for 45-60 minutes. Sugar tends to bake quicker than honey, so just check it periodically with a toothpick and don't worry too much about how much time has passed.


Cut 'em up and serve them, or put them in the fridge for sporadic snack times!


This post hosted by Brag About ItCraft-o-Maniac MondayMix it up Monday, Mega Inspiration MondayCatch a Glimpse, Foodie FridayHome Sweet HomeFoodie Friends, and Create it Thursday blog hops.

5 comments :

  1. I think it would be awesome to try these at preps to see if anyone notices they are different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try these Kirstyn ~ sounds good!
    I'm visiting from All Things Pretty Link Party. I would be so honored if you would share this at Brag About It Link Party on VMG206.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day! I've heard so much about these brownies but have never had one to date! YUM!
    Thanks for sharing as part of Foodie Friends Friday Snack Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing black bean brownie recipes but have never tried one. They look delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very innovative on the black beans! I love it!

    Coming from Mix it up Monday! Come-by my blog and say hi!

    ReplyDelete