Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have no idea where this recipe came from (odds are in favor of Pinterest), but I absolutely love it for a quick meal. Especially for a wintery evening, the likes of which are very common around here.


I have to warn you, it calls for a lot of canned ingredients, namely "Cream of" soups. I'm currently talking Kirstyn into making the same kind of soup the healthy way, with home made everything, just to prove it can be done with basically any recipe.

Start out with two cans each Cream of Chicken and Cream of Potato soup, two cups milk, and approximately two cups chicken broth (or one 14.5 oz can).


Just to warn you, it doesn't look all that appetizing until you get it all combined and heated up. Dump in the soups...


...and milk and broth...


...then heat through on medium heat. Honestly, you can do it on high too, if you can watch it closely enough. I tried it once and ended up with a burned on layer of scum on the bottom of the pan. Soup still tasted fine, but it was a booger to wash after that!


In the meantime, cook up 2-3 chicken breasts (I use those tenderloin things because they're cheaper, so I figure about two of them make up one whole breast), seasoning with salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, and chili powder to taste. I like mine kinda spicy, obviously, considering I also mix it directly into the soup!


Chop up the chicken into bite-sized chunks, and mix it into the soup along with a can of corn, a 4oz can of chilies (I use the hot ones...up to you), and a cup of shredded cheddar.


Then the original recipe calls for three tortillas chopped up as shown below and mixed directly into the soup, but I found that they get disgustingly soggy after about ten minutes. Forget taking it for leftovers in your lunch the next day! Tanner did the first few times I made this according to instructions without complaint ('cause he's just that nice of a guy), so I didn't realize how unappetizing it could get until I ate some left over myself!


 Ever since then, I've taken to browning the tortilla squares on the stove until they're crispy, and serving them as an add-your-own sort of thing. It works splendidly.


Top it off with your tortillas, some extra cheese, and, if you want it to look super fancy (or if you love your stuff pretty spicy, as is apparently the case with me) a dash of chili powder!


Start to finish, this soup might take twenty minutes. It's fabulous if you're in a hurry, and will always get good reviews!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
2 cans Cream of Potato soup
2 cups milk
14.5 oz chicken broth
1 can corn
1 4oz can green chilies
1 cup shredded cheddar
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked

3 tortillas

Combine soups, milk, and broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add corn, chicken, and chilies, bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Add the cheese and mix until melted. Chop tortillas into one inch squares and fry until browned and crispy. Use them and extra cheese to top soup.


3 comments :

  1. Sounds pretty good. Anxiously awaiting the healthy version, though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I have a few different tortilla soup recipes, but mine don't have cream of potato or crispy tortilla strips on top. Will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to think of it, Kara, I'm a little disturbed by the potatoes. What chicken tortilla soup has potatoes in it?!?!

    ReplyDelete