Saturday, January 4, 2014

Current Reads II

It's been awhile since the last Book Roundup post, so we thought we'd do a more current update, this time on what both of us are reading. So below, in no particular order, are our current reads:















The Great Cholesterol Con
This is just one of many books that I've been working on so I can extend my knowledge on varying topics enough to do posts on them. I've read a great deal about cholesterol as referenced in books on other topics, but never a book on the topic, so I wanted to read one to fill in the gaps in my understanding. Unfortunately, I now know less than ever about the topic, because this book gave me more knowledge than I had to start with, but none of it was building on knowledge I already had. So now I have to find some more cholesterol books to read.

On the plus side, this is a great read for understanding the studies that are behind our entire national perception of cholesterol. I'm not convinced by his theory for what actually causes heart disease (stress), but I could see where it might be a factor. Overall I'd say read the first 8 chapters for a more critical understanding of the topic, but skip the last 3 chapters that describe his theory.















Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
I don't think any explanation is required for this one...Harry Potter is awesome. It's pretty simple.















Searching for Pemberley
There are a lot of Pride & Prejudice spinoffs, but this is about the only one I've ever really enjoyed. Instead of being a continuation of the story with variations that may or may not cause irritation at the author, this book is written as if it's in the "real" world. It's about a lady in the 1940's who meets the descendants of the family that Austen theoretically based her Darcy family on. As they fill her in on the story behind the family, she ends up experiencing her own "Darcy" story with the son of the descendants.















Death by Food Pyramid
This book is written by a blog author I've really enjoyed reading, who is just whip smart and carefully deconstructs the studies that our diets are built on, explaining what they really mean and debunking them if applicable. This book is kind of a crash course in learning how to understand and assess science, as well as understanding the history of how our dietary guidelines came to be and shouldn't necessarily be lived by. She doesn't uphold a specific diet, but sets out to lay out the science in a way that's understandable so that we can build our own diet philosophy.















Eat Fat, Lose Fat
This is another book by the authors of Nourishing Traditions, which is half educational on the issue of fats, and half diet plan/recipes. I have a generic knowledge of fats in that man-made is bad and real fats are good, even if they're saturated, but I wanted to learn more about them. One of these authors has a more in depth, scientific book about fats (Know Your Fats) , but this one is a little more user friendly.















Nourishing Traditions
I've already mentioned this book several times, but I recently decided it was time to re-read the nutrition section in it. I've been delighted to realize that since I read it through the first time a couple years ago, that I understand it much more and much more easily, so I guess I've been successful in training my brain to be a little smarter about science. :-)















Heaven to Betsy
This is a return to a childhood favorite, part of the Betsy/Tacy series. They're a fun series from the turn of the century, following a young girl (Betsy) and her best friend (Tacy) from age 5 on up through marriage. I read a lot of nutrition books, and they require a certain amount of light reading to compensate for the energy they require...















The Mammoth Hunters
This whole series is fascinating, but this is the book I'm currently on. They're set in pre-historic times and are about a woman who grew up with "cave men" back when both humans and cave men co-existed. This particular book is about when she finally manages to find more humans after spending her life not knowing there were others. Despite some rather inappropriate scenes (which I usually skip over anyway), the rest of the books are extremely detailed and well written and a great read.















Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
I frequently re-read these when I'm out of fresh material...it's fun to go back and read a feel-good, easy read, that you know you like the ending of. For some reason this one is one of my favorites from the series, because JK's humor starts to show up again. As the plot develops on earlier books, the material necessarily gets a little darker, and you forget how funny they really are; this book brings that back to light.















The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--a Love Story
I'm a sucker for good old fashioned romances, and they're even better when they're real life. It doesn't hurt that you can follow her in real life on her blog and find out how the relationship has continued, which in itself is inspiring.















Sarah's Key
I'm fascinated by Holocaust history, and this book seems more realistic than other fiction on the topic. I wasn't a big fan of the unhappy ending, but it's well written.

2 comments :

  1. I am planning to read "Searching for Pemberly", but I have to finish watching Pride and Prejudice first!

    ReplyDelete