Thursday, January 23, 2014

DIY Burp Rags



Let me give you a little tip. These are what you get for every new mother. Doesn't matter if you make them or buy them, they are the gift that is sure to have praises being sung in your direction. I didn't realize how many were necessary for day-to-day living...

...until Day One of motherhood when I was trying to scrounge up enough stuff to make a decent sized load of laundry because every one of my burp rags was dirty and I was in desperate need of more. As I pulled neatly folded towels out of the closet and chucked them into the hamper, I had the hair-brained idea to make my own.

Who'da thunk?

So now, two months later, I've finally acted upon that inclination. After a bit of waffling, I decided to model them after the most absorbent ones I have. They came from Walmart, but I guess they've been discontinued, because I have yet to find them again, and I'm more than a little bummed. They're made of jersey and terryclothsewn back to back, which makes for a whole lot of spit-up catching, obviously. If you want absorbent, use towel material!

I already had the jersey on hand (bought it on a whim forever ago and still hadn't found a use for it), so I bought some bright green terrycloth, brought it home, and let it sit in the bag for two weeks before ever touching the project. I'm proud to say that today, I managed to get all the way through the process to a completed final product! Woot!

My very least favorite part of sewing anything is the cutting out. Ever notice how they never manage to cut a straight edge at the store? So then you can't cut blocks out using the edge as a guide and everything gets way more complicated. So I just did this. Marked out as many as I could and cut them out.


I ended up with ten total from each type of fabric.


Lay one on top of the other...seems like that's how most sewing projects go! Note that my edges don't quite match up. That's because jersey is stretchy and really stupid to try to cut. 


I ended up sewing a half inch seam using the green as my edge, just so it wouldn't be confusing.


Sew around three sides...


And flip right side out (take a pen or something to poke the corners out all the way. Fingers rarely do it justice).


On the open end, put your thumbs where the two fabrics meet and fold them both inward about half an inch, and pull it tight. (Wanna know how I took this picture without a second set of hands nearby? Yeah...I pressed the button with my tongue. Who wants to borrow my camera now?)


Then flatten it and pin it down. This way, you'll hardly be able to tell which side was done differently!


Sew it down flat, being careful to keep the ends even. It looks a little dorky with one side sticking out further than the other. But heck...it's a burp rag, soon to be covered with all sorts of nasties. I don't suppose aesthetics matter that much in this project.


Once you're done with that side, continue around the other three, once again, keeping everything even. This just helps them to stay laying flat, even after they've gone through the wash. I used about a quarter inch seam for this and the last step.


And now you're all done! With one, single, lonely burp rag. This makes three for me, but...


I still have a few more to go.


This post is hosted by Mega Inspiration MondayAmaze Me MondayCraft-O-ManiacMetamorphosis Monday, Handmade Tuesdays, You're Gonna Love It, Tweak It Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday, In & Out of the Kitchen, The Gathering Spot, Wonderful Wednesday, Show & Share Wednesday, Catch a Glimpse, Create It Thursdays, The Mommy Club,   blog hops.

1 comment :

  1. Burp cloths are necessary in an abundance. This is a good frugal tip! Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete