Thursday, January 30, 2014

Experiment: Homemade Stove Cleaner



Partially just for something to do, and partially because I'm really tired of having a stovetop that won't come clean, I started looking up recipes on Pinterest for stove cleaners. I figured that if it bombed (possibly literally, as some of these things had you combining lots of chemical-y stuff) I'd have a funny story, but if it worked, I'd have a nice informational post for all you folks. Surprisingly, the latter scenario won, this time!

The recipe, which can be found on any number of pins, is just for equal amounts of Dawn dish soap and baking soda--








Mixed into a paste--


And used to scrub the entire surface, with either a stiff brush or a scratcher pad.


I gave up on the toothbrush after, well, not very long, honestly. That was a pain in the tush. The scratcher worked pretty well though! It was hard to see a difference, at first, but when I wiped it off, once, I noticed--


It was definitely picking up grime! I had just wiped it down with a washcloth before starting this experiment, so it wasn't just that I'm bad about cleaning off the stove. I really do try! But when stuff gets burned on (like the other night when I accidentally let teriaki sauce boil over on to the stove...what a disaster), it generally stays there, because I just don't have the manpower to get it off.

But this concoction actually worked, when I went back and inspected!



That stuff has been stuck on since before we moved into this house...I have a feeling that the previous owner felt just as hopeless as I did. I figured that eventually, the whole stove top would be covered in such grime, and at that point, it would be time for a new one. So really, I just saved us a whole bunch of money! Although, I think next time, I'd get myself a plain ol' stove with pans under the burners. True, stuff falls down in there and burns on, but the thing about those is that they can be replaced, rather than scrubbed for hours.

Anyway, I'd call this experiment a success! Mind you, I did still have to scrub pretty hard for the results I got, mostly because the spots had been there so long, but considering that absolutely nothing else I had tried with the same amount of scrubbing ever made a dent, this stuff obviously works pretty well! So, for all you glass top stove owners, try this stuff out!

4 comments :

  1. Ever tried a razor blade on your stovetop? I keep one in a drawer right beside the stove. Not a shave-your-legs kind, but rather the kind you would use to get sticky labels off new windows...that sort. Works like a champ; haven't found anything that wouldn't come off with that. Peels right up in teeny tiny layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever tried a razor blade on your stovetop? I keep one in a drawer right beside the stove. Not a shave-your-legs kind, but rather the kind you would use to get sticky labels off new windows...that sort. Works like a champ; haven't found anything that wouldn't come off with that. Peels right up in teeny tiny layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was actually suggested on one of the pins, and I may have to try it at some point...I just don't keep them around very often, so I obviously didn't bother. There's still a few spots left that I should try it on, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little trick will save me from spending $$ on cleaner because I always have Dawn and baking soda around. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete