Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Huzzah for garden (planning) season!

I think I've mentioned before that I tend to get inspired to do things at the completely wrong time. For example, I got excited about doing a garden back in August. You know, when gardens are starting to wrap up for the year and the only things left in the ground are pumpkins? I have Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to thank for that. Kirstyn and I listened to it on her iPod as we drove to Oregon after our ridiculous canning session last summer, and it got me raring to go. The looming reality of winter, however, stepped on my figurative tail as my figurative little legs grappled wildly for a way to take off running. The only thing I managed to do at that point was weed my entire 28x70 foot garden plot. It made me feel like I was doing something, and kept me sane for the time being.

But then we went to Oregon again at the beginning of the month, listened to the book again, and got me going wild and crazy all over again! But this time...this time I can actually do something about it!

IT'S GARDEN PLANNING SEASON!!

I made myself wait until we were at least on the drive home before calling Tanner and begging him to go out and get the actual dimensions of the garden so that I could start planning where I was going to plant everything. We stopped in at a Walgreen's somewhere in Washington where I picked up some graph paper and pens (stupidly forgetting the pencils that actually would have been a lot more useful), and spent the rest of that day's trip sketching stuff into the little rectangle on my page, while also trying to keep Wade happy in his carseat--he was a little tired of traveling by then, understandably.

I finished before we stopped in Ceour d'Alene that night and proudly showed off my drawing to Kirstyn like a toddler showing a scribble to its parents. The response I got was a little different, though...more along the lines of "WOW that's a lot of beans!"

Yeah, well, I like 'em, 'kay?

Now I just needed some seed catalogues to drool over. That couldn't be fixed immediately, but I tried my best, requesting them from Annie's Heirloom Seeds and The Seed Saver's Exchange (both at Kirstyn's recommendation...relevant post still to come), and crossing my fingers that they would show up by the time I got home the next day. I wasn't to be so lucky, of course, but it gave me something to look forward to for the next couple weeks until they did!

The second the first one showed up in the mail, I dropped everything and cuddled up in my recliner to pore over it. Wade made sure that didn't last long--about ten minutes--and I didn't manage to get back at it until I had gotten the second one a few days later. At that point, I secured Tanner as my babysitter for an hour one evening and sat down with them and my sharpie and started circling everything I could imagine myself planting. Two kinds of peas, four types of melons, some butternut squash, cucumbers, popcorn...it was heaven for the overenthused.

I suppose at some point I'm going to have to settle down and prune down my choices a bit; Tanner won't be impressed if my "money saving" garden ends up costing an arm and a leg in seeds to plant it!

Currently, I sit in Kirstyn's living room, finishing up my sketch (more like overhauling it), and thinking ahead to my next spring fever-related endeavor: mini greenhouses made of milk jugs to get some tomato plants going and maybe some melon vines started. It's all very experimental at this point, so we'll see if the resulting post is a victorious How-To or a satirical story of failure. Off I go, into the great unknown! Don't wait up.

2 comments :

  1. I am ordering my catalogs now! I want to try one crazy item this year, maybe the purple pumpkins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...just don't try to hollow it out to use for soup like the author of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle attempted to do!

      Delete