Saturday, March 8, 2014

Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole #2 (Egg, Bacon, & Potato)


A couple weeks ago I posted a recipe for the first of two make ahead breakfast casseroles I've invented lately. The first one (you can find it here) is a meat and potatoes concoction that has been wildly popular in our household, even for me, who is pretty much nauseated by the thought of food in the morning. The second casserole is a more traditional breakfast mix, since it contains eggs and bacon and cheese. It's really pretty awesome, even to weirdos like me who don't like eggs.

As with casserole number one, this one is easy to make the night before, then slip into the oven the morning you need it. SO. AWESOME.


INGREDIENTS
1 lb. diced potatoes
8 eggs
1/2 c. cream
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and broken into pieces
2 t. Lawry's
1 t. salt
2-3 c. shredded cheddar

Okay, word to the wise. If you're using home diced potatoes, pop those suckers into a frying pan with some bacon grease for about 10 minutes before dumping them into the casserole. Store bought frozen potatoes are blanched before freezing, which means they cook more quickly. I learned this the hard way, so take it from me!  If you like to dice and freeze your own (I do; then I don't have to peel them every time I make something with them) then add a blanching step in there so you don't have to deal with partially cooking them next time you need them in a casserole.

So. Dump your potatoes into a greased 8x8 pan.

Then get out a big measuring cup (2 cup will barely work; 4 cup is better) and dump in 8 eggs.



Pour in half a cup of cream, and add your spices (2 t. Lawry's, 1 t. salt). Yes, my salt is pink. Also, if you don't like to use Lawry's because it has MSG in it, you're not alone. I make my own, and while you can find loads of recipes for it on the internet, I'll get one posted here soon, too, so it's easy to find.


Stir the bacon bits into your egg mixture. You can come by these however you want; I take a pair of scissors to a package of raw bacon and cut them up small, then fry them. It's easier to get them small that way than after they're cooked. You can go light (1/2 pound) or heavy (1 pound); it turns out fine both ways.


Pour the egg mixture over your potatoes, spreading to coat evenly. Top with 2 cups of cheese. Cover it with foil. At this point you can stick it in the fridge overnight or in the oven, but you want foil for both routes.


Bake @350 for 60-90 minutes. Honestly, if you leave the foil on, it's a pretty forgiving dish, so you can start it a little earlier (planning for 90 minutes) and be sure to have your potatoes soft enough, and it won't burn. I usually get back out of bed when it's been baking for an hour, so that gives me 30 minutes to get the table set, get some coffee ingested, and some teeth brushed, and in that time frame I can check on it and make sure it's doing okay. If it's browning too much, just turn the oven off and leave it in there until you're ready for it. Casseroles are slightly awesome that way.

Enjoy!

This post is hosted by the Unprocessed Fridays, Old Fashioned Fridays, Home Sweet Home, Real Food FridayHome & Garden ThursdayHomeAcre HopWildcrafting WednesdayReal Food Wednesday, Down Home Blog HopGrowing Homemakers, Tutorials & Tips, Tweak It Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection, The Gathering SpotTuesdays With a TwistHomestead Barn Hop and Natural Living Monday blog hops.

1 comment :

  1. I love breakfast casseroles! Your recipe looks great!
    Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre hop!

    ReplyDelete