Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Simple (But Delicious) Tortellini Soup



My cousin gave me this recipe a while back (because I begged it off of her after having sampled it at her house..thanks Kaylee!), and last night I finally got around to making it, because I finally remembered where I had written it down! It's one of my favorite soups, and since it was a gross, muddy, rainy/snowy day outside, I thought Tanner might appreciate something of its nature when he came home after a long day of working in said elements. I was definitely right...it was a hit! And, delicious as it is, it's much simpler than it tastes!

I got this at Sam's Club back when I first got my membership (don't ask me how long ago that was...I'm just glad freezers are so good at keeping things from going bad!), and it was perfect for this soup. Now, if you want to go all pro-chef with this, feel free to make your own. But as for me? HA! I'll stick with frozen.


Aside from that, these are the ingredients you will need for the actual soup:

2 cans tomato soup, condensed
2 cups broth (it originally calls for vegetable broth, but I only ever have chicken on hand...it really doesn't make a difference. Bone broth would work great here, too.)
2 cups half and half (although, you'll notice I used cream and milk instead. Milk, cream, and half and half can be used for all or part of the two cups in any ratio, and it really won't make a difference. I used about two thirds cream and a third milk.)


Mix together over medium heat.


Then add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, and basil. I used quite a bit, 'cause I love them all! Also salt to taste, which should only take about a half teaspoon.


Now the recipe says to prepare tortellini before you add it to the soup by boiling it for about five minutes. Seeing as I'm efficient to a fault, I decided not to make more dishes for myself by using a second pot. When the soup started to simmer, I just dumped them in frozen! I figured it couldn't hurt, as they're full of cheese (as in you can't get salmonella if you don't cook them properly) and the noodles weren't dry, like spaghetti. All they really needed was heat, so heat they got!


As soon as it came back up to a boil, I turned down the heat to low and just let it simmer lightly. The tortellini only needs to cook for about five minutes after it boils to heat through, but mine got cooked for about twenty, as Tanner ended up working a little late.


At this point, your soup is basically done, but adding some shredded Parmesan can kick it up a notch (it also makes a nice garnish if you're serving the queen of England or some other fancy company. In-laws, maybe)


And there you have a marvelous bowl of soup! It's also scrumptious reheated the next day, so feel free to send some to work with your hubs for lunch!


By the way...a great side to this soup is a piece of cheesy garlic bread. Slather (and I mean slather...don't just spread skimpily) butter on a piece of bread, sprinkle some garlic salt over it, and top with more shredded Parmesan. Broil on the center rack for three minutes. It's wonderful, and way better for you than the garlic spread French bread that can be found at every grocery store in town. Try it out!

This post is hosted by the Catch a GlimpseCreate it ThursdayWhatever Goes WednesdayInspire Me WednesdayWow Us WednesdayCreative MusterHome Sweet HomeFoodie Friends, and Foodie Friday blog hops.

4 comments :

  1. This sounds rilly rilly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I was going to call Kaylee for the recipe a few days ago.. now I dont need to :) this stuff is the bomb diggity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that does look really, really good. Going to have to try that!

    Betty Figarelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day! Simple always equals better and yum!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Thanks for sharing at the Foodie Friends Friday No Rules Party!

    ReplyDelete